Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Holding and New Home


How can there be something new to say everyday about chicks? In today's post, I have included a picture that Remi drew (he'll be 3 years old on Friday) of our Red Sex Link chick and a Buff Orpington chick.

Also, the chicks got a new cage-- on loan from a friendly freecycler in my neighborhood. You can see the kids wanted to be the first to investigate the new home.


Also, I have learned how to identify the various black chicks, thanks to a very helpful person at the feed store where I bought them. The last chick whose breed I did not know is a Silver-laced Wyandotte. True to its breed, this Wyandotte seems to dominate a bit. I guess I got it because it would be pretty, not realizing it could be a bit aggressive. Hopefully it will work out.

We all spent extra time holding the birdies now that they are officially a week old (some books say to wait a week to hold them). Of the two buff opringtons, one is really quiet when she is held and the other chirps LOUDLY. The black australorp is supposed to be a shy bird and she is also quiet when being held. In future posts, I will focus on the individual breeds.



No comments:

Post a Comment