Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Chicks Do More Than Eat, Peep, and Poop

Last night, the chickens dumped over their water so their cardboard box, with wood shavings and chick manure, got wet too. I took them out of their yucky box and put them temporarily into a laundry basket. Tomorrow I will pick up a cage for them from someone on freecycle. Their home is a little smaller than it had been, but I think they can handle it for a day.

Tonight, as I was changing the food/water and had the compost sifting grate off the laundry basket, one chick kept practicing her jumping/flying skills until she managed to land on the rim of the basket. As I approached to get her, she flew across the basket to the other edge! Yikes. Made sure the lid was good and secure tonight. As an aside, chicks make a much bigger mess in their laundry basket (with holes) than their solid-wall cardboard box.

So not only do chicks eat, peep, poop, dump over their water, and try to fly the coop, my little chickies also play chase. One chick picked up a larger-than-normal wood shaving and carried it around in her beak while the other chicks chased her. This was in a small laundry basket that is mostly full of water and food containers. One of the little yellow girls managed to take it from the Red Sex Links bird. There was a big commotion as the chicks all chased "it" with peeping and such. Who knew chicks played chase?

For my LOYAL following, I am including another picture-- the little chicks asleep in their laundry basket. I take so many pictures of them. I don't think I have this many photos of my second-born child! I'm wondering how many people are reading my blog anyway... 2 (my mother and my husband)? Feel free to comment so I know you're out there!

I am such a proud mom! At preschool today, my son built a chicken coop for me at the "contruction table". He even included the slanted roof! I should've taken a picture, but that thought came after clean-up time.

2 comments:

  1. Our entire kitchen floor is now covered in wood shavings. How old do these things need to be before we stick'em outside? =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finish the coop and then we an talk!

    ReplyDelete