Monday, May 25, 2009

Day 3


What progress on the coop today! My father and Damon did a great job with the rest of the framing and the gate. I didn't get the picture taken until dark, but you can see the slanted roof on the left side. This will be the covered side where the food, water, roosting bar, and nesting boxes will go. On the right side (level side), it will just have chicken wire instead of a roof.

Chicks are still happy. They scratch their wood shavings all around and so I change their water about 5 times a day-- each time it is full of wood shavings again. Tonight, I finally tried elevating their water just a bit with a little saucer turned upside down.

When I try to pull out a chick, they all go wildly running about, chirping. They do sleep quite a bit, but when I go to change their water, refill their food, or scoop their poop, they get up, run around a bit and then start eating and drinking. Next week we will be holding them more, so I will post more pictures of the chicks out of their cardboard box. Perhaps they can even move into a cage?!

Today, many of the neighbors got to meet the chicks and see the coop. Many are expressing an interest in eggs. You hear that little chicks? Make your mama proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment