Friday, June 5, 2009

Australorp, No More












The Black Australorp was going to be my favorite hen because of the pretty green/purple iridescence on the black feathers. Also, this bird is supposed to lay an average of 5 eggs per week AND she was supposed to have a sweet and shy temperament. Unfortunately, the chick we thought was a Black Australorp developed stripes and looks just like the Barred Rock, so I guess we have two Barred Rocks. Oh well, at least she is still alive and hasn't ended up a rooster (yet)!


The coop is looking nice. Damon has been working hard putting up the hardware cloth, and it looks really nice! He has the right side of the coop mostly done. It would be nice to get these stinky chicks outside during the day. They eat and poop so much and I'm sure they'd like to have some more space. I clean their cage every 24 hours and I think I need to start doing it twice/day because it is so stinky by the next day. But the more they eat, the faster they grow, and the sooner we get eggs.


The "girls" have been losing their fluff and new feathers have been growing in. It is hard to sweep up the fluff because it flies across the kitchen so easily. Imagine sweeping dandilion puff balls and that's what it is like.




Here is a picture of the curious girls when I opened their cage. The Buff Orpintons (yellow chicks) like to come out and visit with me, but the other birds need some coaxing.

2 comments:

  1. They're double the size they were when you got them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! In fact, they need a bigger cage. Can't wait for that coop. Damon will likely finish it while the kids and I are in Oklahoma.

    ReplyDelete